If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to help support FordF150.net!

Looking for recent topics?

1997 F150 ABS light

tnphil61
New Member
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 am
Truck: 1997 F-150 XLT
My Truck Mods

Re: 1997 F150 ABS light

the only code I get from the abs is when i remove the abs fuse from the dash I get 16 flashes on the light then solid again. Then 16 more flashes.
where and what is 511? Like I said , I had the dash out again and will remove the cluster to check that everything is fastened in good. hope to hear back soon.
There is some type of fastener on a bolted brace that has like a white nylon large connector. Is that part of the ABS system?

it is to the left of the center controls. what is it?

User avatar

Steve83
Hardcore Ford Truck Fanatic
Hardcore Ford Truck Fanatic
Posts: 18740
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:19 pm
Truck: 83 Bronco with major mods
Location: Memphis, TN
My Truck Mods
Contact:

Re: 1997 F150 ABS light

Post by Steve83 »

The colors indicated in the link in my previous reply.

Image . Image . Image . '99 CV, '94 CV, & two '96 EB Broncos RIP

tnphil61
New Member
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 am
Truck: 1997 F-150 XLT
My Truck Mods

Re: 1997 F150 ABS light

Post by tnphil61 »

For some reason I have voltage to that light bulb at all times. I have un hooked everything that I know of that even pretians to the ABS system. is there a relay under the dash anywhere?

User avatar

Steve83
Hardcore Ford Truck Fanatic
Hardcore Ford Truck Fanatic
Posts: 18740
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:19 pm
Truck: 83 Bronco with major mods
Location: Memphis, TN
My Truck Mods
Contact:

Re: 1997 F150 ABS light

Post by Steve83 »

If you read the wiring diagrams at that link, you'll see why it defaults to "ON" when anything is wrong or removed. And it'll probably indicate where that relay is.

Image . Image . Image . '99 CV, '94 CV, & two '96 EB Broncos RIP

tnphil61
New Member
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 am
Truck: 1997 F-150 XLT
My Truck Mods

Re: 1997 F150 ABS light

Post by tnphil61 »

I have tried evevrything except to bleed the brakes again. Installed a new brakelight switch today and nothing is different.
will put dash back together tomorrow for the most part and if bleed ing the brakes don't do it. I'll thrn the bulb around so it doesn't light up at all
I have traced and tested from what I can make out of the diagrams until the ink is off the pages.
never did find a relay that might be stuck either. Thanks for the try and help

User avatar

Steve83
Hardcore Ford Truck Fanatic
Hardcore Ford Truck Fanatic
Posts: 18740
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:19 pm
Truck: 83 Bronco with major mods
Location: Memphis, TN
My Truck Mods
Contact:

Re: 1997 F150 ABS light

Post by Steve83 »

If you can't find anything wrong, why are you replacing parts blindly? It would make as much sense to replace the tires. If you can't find the problem, take it to a pro.

Are you looking at this?
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=7838

No, 511 isn't the BOO. It's the circuit (wire) between the BOO & the RABS controller. The broken lines in that diagram indicate an incomplete component. To see the rest of 511, go to the brake light circuit diagram.

Yes, the BOO is on the brake pedal.

Saying you've tested "what you can" tells us nothing. Tell us EACH thing you tested, exactly how you tested each thing, and what each result was. Photos might help, if they're clear, far enough back that we can see what you're doing, close enough for us to see the relevant details, and organized to show the process you used.

Image . Image . Image . '99 CV, '94 CV, & two '96 EB Broncos RIP

tnphil61
New Member
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 am
Truck: 1997 F-150 XLT
My Truck Mods

Re: 1997 F150 ABS light

Post by tnphil61 »

I had a very low voltage reading across the brake ligght switch. a .50 in fact so that went to show that there was a voltage leak between the wires. so YES i did replace the switch
I have nothing else to look at

tnphil61
New Member
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 am
Truck: 1997 F-150 XLT
My Truck Mods

Re: 1997 F150 ABS light

Post by tnphil61 »

the wiring diagrams are much to be desired as far as the components are concerned. What the hell are numbers and nothing to use as a reference.

User avatar

Steve83
Hardcore Ford Truck Fanatic
Hardcore Ford Truck Fanatic
Posts: 18740
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:19 pm
Truck: 83 Bronco with major mods
Location: Memphis, TN
My Truck Mods
Contact:

Re: 1997 F150 ABS light

Post by Steve83 »

Voltage doesn't come from a switch, and when it's closed, it SHOULD have low voltage drop. So your description leaves much to be desired.

The hell numbers are for the hell circuits. Here's a hell reference:

Image
https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/1067186_1

I have nothing else to add.

Image . Image . Image . '99 CV, '94 CV, & two '96 EB Broncos RIP

Flakko1544
New Member
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:47 am
Truck: 97 f150
My Truck Mods

Re: 1997 F150 ABS light

Post by Flakko1544 »

Okey so I had abs light on problem and cruise control not working because of this (problem solved) after replacing rear abs sensor on top of the diferetial because common problem, also replaced swich on master cylinder also common problem none of this help, turns out I found out my rear brakes lights were not working either, after messing whit my truck for hours I found out that a wire got disconnected from the brake pedal that sends a signal to the brake light to turn on, well that shouldn't turn ABS LIGHTH ON but because the hot wire making contact whit ground was burning fuse number 13(RABS) under the stearing wheel which is the second one from from top to bottom on the middle layer of fuse box, this is why the abs light up, well fixed the wire and replaced the fuse and boom everything back to normal I got my brake light working again abs light off and more import to me cruise control working again, I hope this helps some people it kills me not to have cruise control since I drive over 100 miles a day, In AZ cruise control and A/C is life... Oh yeah

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests